Wednesday, November 08, 2006

The Colour of Water

The dominant impression of autumn invariably seems to be the brilliant oranges and reds of the foliage, but there are also subtler hues hidden in the rainy shadows. Last weekend we took a little family hike:

lost lake

On the way, we crossed one of the glacial creeks that feed Lost Lake:

creek

I was struck by the contrast between the turbulent bits and the silty gray-green of the still water.

fall creek

Pixellated:

fall creek pixellated

The palette:

fall stream palette

And the pattern:

fall stream pattern

The geometric pattern is adapted from an authentic Kurdish sock found in Anna Zilboorg's book. (I've been spending a great deal of time in that book while designing the scarf, and though this pattern won't fit in that project, it's one I've always admired.) I tried not to overthink the arrangement of the colours - I find I can easily get carried away with the mathematics of sequence and contrast.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home